March 23, 2018
In a previous post we looked at the most common injury for regular runners, patellofemoral pain syndrome. Today we will briefly cover the causes and prevention of 3 other common running injuries.
1) Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (‘Shin Splints’)
- SYMPTOMS: diffuse pain along the shin bone on the inside of the leg (medial border of the tibia).
- Some CAUSES: rapidly increasing running load, collapsed foot arches, foot/ankle muscle weakness.- 2 things for PREVENTION: increase running load gradually (not rapidly), strengthen foot/ankle muscles with running specific exercises.⠀ ⠀2) Achilles Tendinopathy (‘tendonitis’)
- SYMPTOMS: pain in the Achilles tendon.
- Some CAUSES: overload of the Achilles tendon due to; excessive training, weakness/tightness of the calf muscles, poor ankle stability.
- 2 things for PREVENTION: strengthen the calf (eccentric exercises work best), keep calf muscles flexible (stretch).3) Plantar fasciopathy (‘fasciitis’)
- SYMPTOMS: pain on the heel and/or along the bottom of the foot.⠀ ⠀
- Some CAUSES: knees that collapse inwards, excessive foot pronation, weakness of foot/arch muscles.⠀ ⠀
- 2 things for PREVENTION: strengthen foot/arch muscles with barefoot exercises, strengthen/improve activation of hip muscles (abductors/external rotators).
If you need help, reach out to our caring and friendly team at our Chatswood or North Sydney Physiotherapy Clinic. You’ll be glad you did.
infinite health physiotherapists
Common Knee Injuries Part 3 – Patella Tendinopathy (Tendonitis/Tendinitis)
How To Avoid an Energy Burnout During the Holiday Season!
Shoulder Series Part 1 – Your Diagnosis is Not as Important as You Think it is
End Stage Shoulder Dislocation Rehab
Beginner Level Knee Rehab
Achilles Prehab Exercises
Acute Shoulder Dislocation Rehab
low fibre food
lower back pain
milk & recovery
muscle tension & pain
ottawa ankle rules
pain & stiffness